Kesar Mango as Geographical Indication
- Major part of the Marathwada division has deep black soil derived from the trap rock which is suitable for Kesar mango cultivation.
- The weather, can be said to be dry and moderately extreme in Marathwada hence the sweetness is higher.
- Color and taste similar to Saffron hence the variety is known as Kesar mango which is the unique for Marathwada division.
- Contains higher amount of Total Soluble Solids i.e. 240Brix which is highest among all mango varieties in India.
- Ample amount of Kesar Mango fruit yield.
- Largest size mango fruit.
Description of Kesar Mango
- Shape: Long and Oval, attractive
- Color: Saffron
- Taste: Sweet, Excellent sugar/acid blend
- Size : Large
- Overall acceptability: Very Good
- It is favorite fruit of the processing industries since it retains its characteristics flavor even after processing.
Uniqueness of Kesar Mango
- Higher amount of total soluble solids i.e. 240Brix
- Highest among all mango varieties in India.
Total soluble solids constitute about 80 % sugars, 10% acids and 10 % nitrogenous compounds.
|Mango Varieties||TSS (0Brix)|
|Marathwada Kesar Mango||24|
|Gir kesar Mango||18.1|
|South Gujrat mango||17.25|
|Laxman Bhog Mango||14.4|
|Malda Fazli Mango||13.52|
|Mango Malihabadi Dusseheri||20.2|
- Sweet Taste
- An increase in sugars is accompanied by an increase in TSS hence the sweetness of Kesar Mango in Marathwada is highest.
- Excellent color and taste
- Color and taste similar to Saffron due to hot and dry climatic conditions and soil.
- Hence the variety is known as Kesar mango which is the unique for Marathwada division.
- Big size
- Marathwada Kesar mango is largest size mango fruit as compared to other mango varieties which is unique.
- Ample fruit yield
- Ample amount of Kesar mango yield which is about 3 to 4 times higher than Alphonso Mango.
- Hence the cultivation of Kesar mango is economically also beneficial.
- High content of Vitamins and minerals
Marathwada Kesar Mango contains high amount of vitamins and minerals which are very important factors for human diet.
Proof of Origin of Kesar Mango
- Mango(Mangifera indica L.), originated in South – East Asia
- It is as old as Indian civilization and mango has been cultivated in India since antiquity and records show that Huien-Tsang (606 – 647 AD) has testified its cultivation during the time of his visit to India.
- Cultivation is distributed throughout the warmer countries and is confined regions between 30 N and 30 S of the equator.
- Origin of Kesar Mango is Junagadh in Gujrat. Variety was released from Balashad district of Gujarat. Which came in Marathwada and became King of export.
- Kesar mango – dry land fruit plant which grow on artificial irrigated water system.
- It possess tap root which goes deep in land and absorb the lowest ground water. It can survive in drought years. Such trees, our ancestors had thought too.
- So Mahanubhav sect founder Chakradhar Swami in Twelfth centuries preached his followers that they should be planted in Marathwada throughout Kesar Mango stones and Kesar Mango orchads should create.
- Followers obeyed the Preceptor’s order and planted Kesar mango stones in Marathwada .
- These orchards have been hundreds of years to survive and they worked because it persists mango tree roots absorb moisture and distribute deeply in soil.
- Latur – an important kesar mango growing district & accounts about 15 per cent of total area of Marathwada region under kesar mango.
- Very recently, the state government has also developed facilities for pre-cooling, grading, packaging of mango fruits at Latur.
- Situation has favored for export of mango. The export of mango is increasing day by day on account of higher price realized by the farmers and export facilities developed.