Kolhapur Jaggery is a Geographical Indication
- Due to the unique and special combination of agro-climatic conditions Kolhapur Jaggery has a distinctive and naturally-occurring quality and flavor which has won the patronage and recognition of discerning consumers all over the world for well over a century.
- The quality, reputation and characteristics of the Jaggery is essentially attributable to its geographical origin and cannot be replicated elsewhere.
- Perennial flowing of rivers in the sea lap, wind coming from the sea accompanied by hot and humid atmosphere in Kolhapur area plays a significant role in making of sugarcane.
- The unique river basin in Kolhapur flowing from mountains enriched in minerals and minute food particles gives sugarcane a salt less water because of which the jaggery gets the unique taste, color and durability.
Proof of Origin of Kolhapur Jaggery
- Maharashtra famous for Jaggery production since 18th century
- Kolhapur district has been producing sugarcane and jaggery since long.
- In 1886, Chatrapati Shahu Maharaj established a Jaggery market for Kolhapur region. Traders were given plots and other concessions and were persuaded to start market.
- 27% of total sugarcane production in Kolhapur division is used for jaggery production as compared to merely 11% in rest of the State.
- Jaggery from Kolhapur is being exported in great quantities to 44 countries around the world including Pakistan, Australia, Germany, Sri Lanka and so on.
- Present exports of Jaggery from Kolhapur region valued at 250 – 300 Crores.
Uniqueness of Kolhapur Jaggery
- The five perennial rivers famously known as “Panchganga” make the Kolhapur soil rich in minerals and increase the nutrient value that lead to quality jaggery.
- The atmosphere of Kolhapur region is humid (30 – 370C) in which sugarcane grows quickly.
- Sweet water of the rivers make the Sugarcane sweet and distinctive giving the jaggery its distinctive taste, color and durability.
- Colorbody proportion is less in Kolhapur Jaggery compared to others helping to remove impurities to maximum extent.
- Kolhapur Jaggery is prepared under most hygienic environment and scientifically packed with no added chemicals, colors, additives and flavors.