WHAT IS GEOGRAPHICAL INDICATIONS..?(GI)
- A geographical indication is a name or sign used to indicate that certain product corresponds to a specific geographical location which may be a town or a region, a country.
- The use of a GI tag acts as a certification that the product possesses certain qualities, is made according to traditional methods, or enjoys a certain reputation, due to its geographical origin.
Significance of Geographical Indications
- Confers legal protection to GI in India;
- Creates niche identity of the product;
- Prevents unauthorized use of a registered geographical indication by others;
- Enables seeking legal protection in other WTO member countries.
Benefits of Geographical Indications
- GI tag brings Customers’ attention worldwide and producer gets premium price for their product
- Boosts exports
- Agro-tourism is already on the rise
- Indirectly leads to sustainable development